Wednesday, December 2, 2015

A Week of Thanks

(Written Monday, November 23, 2015)

Hello Loving Family and Friends,

What a wonderful week it has been! This week, we were able to give trainings to our zone to help them be more effective, I was able to train a couple of times. I trained on the story about Christ leaving the 99 sheep to find the one and I also trained on increasing our faith in the Lord and in ourselves that we can accomplish his work here. Earlier on in the week, I trained on maintaining our spirituality in a world that is ever yearning for spiritual nourishment, but doesn't know where to find it.

It was a stressful week with our zone's interviews with President and our zone training council, but it all went well. The vision that our zone has right now is called #ONE MORE towards the wall of sustainability. We are building a wall of baptisms and helping ourselves continue to be effective by finding new people to teach. As you see in the pictures below, the gold brick is won by our zone when they are finding new people to teach, and the light saber is our finding method and it's challenge changes every week, this week it was talking to everyone and next week it will be finding and getting members out with you. Its fun to have challenges that motivate the missionaries to keep going to find one more person.

I also got to go on exchanges in one of the other sisters' areas! It was super cool. I was with Sister Brown and she's a great missionary! I learn so much from all of the sisters every time we change companions and areas for the day.
This week is Thanksgiving. It is weird to think that a year ago, I was eating a Thanksgiving feast in Mexico City, in a land where Thanksgiving isn't even a real thing. I was a brand new missionary and I didn't even know what I was doing and now here I am in this little town known to few people, called Boulder City with a population of 15,000 and everyone knows everyone! It is going to be a cozy holiday season, we have some wonderful members here who are going to take care of us! I sure am grateful for that! I am grateful for many things, the list would go on and on!

In one of the conference talks long ago, someone talked about knowing what time it was at home, meaning that they remembered their families routine and that no matter where they were in the world, they knew for sure what their family was doing. I love that story. I know what time it is at home, I know what my family will be doing this holiday season because of the wonderful traditions that they have instilled in me. I am so grateful to be able to picture them happy and enjoying time together and knowing that they are taken care of and safe. My family will be watching the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade all day, my mom and dad will be in the kitchen making the feast, my dad will say the prayer, it will be really long and make everyone impatient, but my dad is grateful for many things, they will all eat and enjoy the day and laugh and play games and probably watch a movie in the evening. I love knowing what they will do. I am so thankful for family traditions and families in general. I owe everything that I am to my family and loved ones who have made me the person I am today! I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for all of you!

I am so glad I get to be with my family forever and not just in this life. I am glad that this life has such a rich meaning and experience to it and I'm grateful we get to keep on learning forever! I love this Gospel, and although I miss home, I wouldn't miss being a missionary at this time in little Boulder City for anything. I hope that I am changing enough to be a wonderful daughter, sister, wife and mother when I come home!
May you all spend Thanksgiving with those you love around you close and may it be the best Thanksgiving yet!
Sending so much love your way,
Sister Alayna Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment