Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Merry Christmas!

(Written Monday, December 22, 2014)

Merry Christmas from the Wonderful World of Las Vegas!

It's been another crazy week! When missionaries say they don't have a lot of time, they mean it!

My retainer broke while I was in the MTC so I had to go get a new one made and of course I was five and for anyone who knows me when I got to pick the turquoise sparkly one I was so excited... so that was great :)

We had a wonderful Christmas Conference where we received more training on how to be a better missionary and what we can do to draw closer to the savior. At the end there was a talent show and the president of our mission dressed up as Santa and brought us "presents" our mail. It was so fun!

I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week on so many occasions, but I have one I want to share. We went to an investigator's house and knocked on their door but they weren't home. We both felt like we shouldn't leave the area and we should walk around for a bit. It was like 8:30 and I was wondering why I felt like I was getting that prompting because I thought most people would be inside and just when I was about turn around, we walked around a corner and there was a lady standing outside looking very distressed and we went up to her and she immediately said, are you missionaries and we said yes and asked if she was okay and she said no and just started crying and said she couldn't believe we had come. She was waiting outside for her friend to come pray with her (she had just recently joined our church) because her 4 month old son had passed away 2 weeks ago, She said she felt like heavenly father hadn't been answering her prayers but now she knew that he listened and she was simply amazed that we were there. I felt Heavenly Father's love for this woman and we were able to share a scripture from the Book of Mormon in Alma 7:11-13 which talks about Christ's Atonement and how he knows all of our trials and burdens because he has personally experienced them alongside us so he can help us. I was so glad we had listened to that prompting because we were able to strengthen and help them in a time of trial. I love this gospel.

Another amazing thing we had the opportunity to do was visit a lady at the nursing home and simultaneously do service! I love making 3D snowflakes and learned how to make them in college and decorated my whole dorm and so we made some great friends with these sweet old ladies! The one standing next to me is Shirley, the girl next to me is Sam and she is a member of the ward, she is 18 and getting ready to serve a mission too and she is so cute! The Lady next to my companion is Gloria, I mentioned her last week and the lady in the wheelchair is Ella. Another lady that wasn't there for the picture is named Kristina and she is from Poland and basically they all have adopted us as their granddaughters which is great since we don't have family out here!


Kristina gave us beautiful dolls that she collected from all over the world AND necklaces! I am amazed at how wonderful these people are!
We are going back on Christmas day to sing Christmas songs and visit with them! I am so glad I have been able to use my singing talents on my mission, I have gotten to sing at church a couple times and at the church for sacrament meeting and for the Christmas party we got to sing a song for everyone! Check the blog for all the extra pictures! There will be lots!


Lastly, all of you have a wonderful Christmas, I know the spirit of Christ is very strong in so many hearts right now during the Christmas season! Share your beliefs about why we celebrate this holiday with your friends. When we put Christ at the center of Christmas and do service, we truly remember what this is all about. This is my first completely selfless Christmas and I can testify that I have never been so happy as I am now! I love you all! Enjoy this wonderful time with your family and friends! May God bless and Keep you! --Hermana Alayna Nelson xo.


No comments:

Post a Comment